"Fighting for Their Lives"
For Dennis, 53, and Kimberly, 36, it has been one medical nightmare after another. Within a week of being brought home to the Quaids' house in L.A., the twins were hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai due to staph infections – which can occur when common staph bacteria infect the skin, tissue or the bloodstream. At the hospital on Nov. 18, they were allegedly among three patients given 1,000 times the recommended dose of heparin, a drug used to prevent IV catheters from clotting. The dosage was high enough to cause severe bleeding and death if left untreated. (On Nov. 20 a Cedars-Sinai spokeswoman issued a statement apologizing for the "preventable error"; they have since declined further comment.) "The babies are still at the hospital in intensive care," Buffington said on Nov. 27. "We're hoping they get to come home from the hospital, but we don't know how long that will be. Kimberly has gotten to hold them a few times, but they are on monitors and IVs, so it's hard. You have these fragile little kids going through a medical crisis they absolutely did not need to go through."
On Newsstands Now
- Kim's Delivery Room Drama!
- Katie: A Year After Split
- Princess Kate: Palace's Baby Plan Revealed
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine