Hospital Fined Over Quaid Babies' Overdose
In all, 11 hospitals were fined for violations that caused or were "likely to cause, serious injury or death to patients," the Associated Press reports.
Cedars spokesman Richard Elbaum said the facility cooperated with state authorities and intends to pay the fine. The hospital has since apologized to the patients' families and said it has taken steps to better train staff to staff.
In November, Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace Quaid – who were hospitalized for a suspected infection – nearly died at Cedars-Sinai after mistakenly being given a massive overdose of the drug Heparin, an adult-strength blood thinner, rather than Hep-tock, a much-weaker version of the drug routinely given to clear IV lines in pediatric patients.
The Quaids have since filed a lawsuit against Heparin manufacturer Baxter Healthcare Corp., accusing the company of negligence in packaging different doses of the product in similar vials.
Last Sunday, Quaid told 60 Minutes that in November, "Our kids are bleeding from everyplace that they've punctured. They were working on Boone, whose belly button would not stop bleeding – blood squirted across the room. It was blood everywhere. It was a life-and-death situation."
In February, Quaid said the babies are now healthy and happy.
Like this story? Click on the Yahoo Buzz! button below to Buzz it up!
On Newsstands Now
- Kim's Delivery Room Drama!
- Katie: A Year After Split
- Princess Kate: Palace's Baby Plan Revealed
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine