Fashion Police Investigate George Clooney Fraud
04/10/2008 AT 01:00 PM EDT
However, two people are being investigated in Milan for allegedly attempting to launch a clothing line under the name of the former PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive. Police there seized clothing, watches and fake documents connected to the faux fashion line on Wednesday. The investigation was launched due to a complaint from Clooney.
"In the past, one of these people rented out entire hotels claiming that I would be presenting my new fashion line. But of course it is not true," Clooney, 46, said at a Leatherheads press conference in Rome on Wednesday.
The actor warned fans not to be duped into parting with their cash: "If someone tries to sell you clothes or watches that are based on me, don't buy them."
The story began last month when a press release was circulated about the supposed "GC Exclusive by George Clooney line." At the time, the actor released a statement denying any involvement in it. "This is a hoax," he said. "I have no connection whatsoever with any clothing line bearing my name."