"There didn't seem to be any peanut butter on it, but the reaction was almost immediate," he says in Redbook's June issue of Brianna's near-fatal allergic reaction. "She began to swell up, to where she was almost unrecognizable ... Just from the protein on the lid."
For the 46-year-old father of five and Celebrity Apprentice runner-up, Brianna's anaphylactic shock was "terrifying" and altered his family's daily life.
"She knows she has to ask before she picks up any food, pretty much," Adkins, now a spokesperson for the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), says of his daughter whom he calls "a trouper." "We have all had to change our diets to work around the things she's allergic to – all nuts, dairy, and eggs. We seldom eat at restaurants because it's too risky. That's just how we live."