Breaking News

FIRST PHOTO: See George & Amal on Their Wedding Night!

Update

Christian Bale Denies Assault Allegations

Christian Bale Denies Assault Allegations
Christian Bale
Ronald Asadorian/Splash News

07/22/2008 12:50PM

Christian Bale's attorneys released a statement Tuesday denying assault allegations that led to the actor's arrest in London.

"Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister," the star's lawyers said in the statement. "Mr. Bale who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale."

Bale, 34, was arrested in the Belgravia precinct station on Tuesday for a Sunday incident in which he allegedly lashed out at his mother, Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, at London's Dorchester Hotel. He was staying at the hotel before Monday's U.K. premiere of The Dark Knight.

"There was an incident but the police are dealing with it," Sharon told the Telegraph newspaper in the U.K. "It is an extremely sensitive situation. There is nothing more I can say."

According to Britain's The Sun newspaper, the women reported the incident in Hampshire on Monday, and the case was turned over to London officers.

Bale was released later Tuesday with a 10-man police escort, in a blacked-out silver Mercedes people carrier. Bale is to return to police in September, pending further inquiry, a police spokesperson tells PEOPLE.

It is a policy in England to arrest a suspect before questioning him in connection to a possible crime. Bale has not been formally charged.

MORE ON: Christian Bale

Share this story:

Your reaction:

advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners