Remains Are Caylee Anthony's, Medical Examiner Confirms

12/19/2008 at 02:10 PM EST

Remains Are Caylee Anthony's, Medical Examiner Confirms
Caylee Anthony
Orange County Sheriff's Office
The mystery is solved.

Officials confirmed Friday that the skeletal remains discovered in the woods last week belong to missing 2-year-old girl Caylee Anthony.

"With regret, I am here to inform you that the skeletal remains found … are those of the missing toddler Caylee Anthony," medical examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia told reporters during a 2 p.m. press conference in Orlando, Fla. The announcement came after an FBI forensic lab in Virginia matched the child's DNA with bones discovered near her grandparents' home.

According to Garavaglia, "The cause of death will be listed as homicide by undetermined means."

"While I would love to explain the forensic aspects of this case to you ... we must remember that everyone is innocent until proven guilty," Garavaglia said.

Anthony's mother, Casey Anthony, 22, was notified in an Orange County jail, where she is awaiting trial on murder charges stemming from her daughter's disappearance in June. Anthony waited five weeks to report her child missing and maintained that she left Caylee with a babysitter who abducted her.

On Dec. 11, a utility worker discovered the remains of a child in a plastic bag.

RELATED GALLERY:
Casey Anthony charged with Caylee's murder

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

Advertisement

From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners



Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters