Coroner: Dr. Dre's Son Died From Overdose of Heroin and Morphine
01/02/2009 AT 03:05 PM EST
"This case has been closed, it's been ruled an accident due to morphine and heroin intoxication," coroner spokesman Larry Dietz told PEOPLE. The drug test results had been pending for four months.
Young, 20, was found unresponsive by his mother, Jenita Porter, 40, in their Woodland Hills, Calif., home on the morning of Aug. 23.
Paramedics pronounced Young – who was remembered by friends as an optimistic young man – dead at the scene.
Porter told investigators that her son had been out with friends that night, and she recalled hearing him snoring around 5:30 a.m.
"Dr. Dre is mourning the loss of his son," the rapper's publicist Lori Earl previously said in a statement. "Please respect his family's grief and privacy at this time."