updated 12/22/2008 AT 01:00 AM EST
•originally published 12/22/2008 AT 01:00 AM EST
Stylish celebs are riveted by this season's heavy-metal trend, choosing embellished party dresses for their nights on the town
BECKI NEWTON in Gucci in New York City.
EMMANUELLE CHRIQUI in Amanda Wakeley in L.A.
SELENA GOMEZ in Robert Ellis in L.A.
Get the Look!
Embellished tank dress, $39.50; oldnavy.com
Pearl, wood cluster ring, $24; rimistyle.com
"Saleena" sandals, $99.95; ninashoes.com
EVA MENDES is a sunny delight in a Bill Blass dress, Bulgari jewels and Christian Louboutin heels at the London premiere of The Spirit.
PATRICK DEMPSEY'S FAVORITE THINGS
The Grey's Anatomy star—who just launched his signature fragrance—dishes on the style items he can't live without
"Piloti driving shoes because they are designed for racing."
"Prototipo" shoe, $85; piloti.com
"They are a classic."
Rock crystal, diamond and onyx cuff links, 212-288-1872 to order
Tees, $24-34.95 each; alternativeapparel.com
Linden jeans, price upon request; 818-981-7567
PATRICK DEMPSEY UNSCRIPTED $32; avon.com
"I jump around with my choice of jeans, but right now I am really liking this pair."
HOT HOLIDAY PARTY LOOKS
Want to look extra-special for winter soirees? Hollywood's beauty pros share their step-by-step tips—and the products they use to create the latest looks
"A young Grace Kelly was the inspiration," says hairstylist Peter Butler of the sculpted waves he created for Witherspoon for a Hollywood premiere.
1. On blow-dried hair, lightly mist sections with a holding spray.
2. Use a medium-barrel curling iron to curl the hair away from the face.
3. Brush the hair back, allowing the waves to fall naturally into place.
Varoom ShapeMaker shaping spray, $15; 800-662-8749
Professional 1101 curling iron, $27.53; amazon.com
"She wanted to look young and fresh," says makeup artist Francesca Tolot, who highlighted the star's eyes with metallic shadow for an N.Y.C. TV appearance.
1. Apply a bronze cream eye shadow across the entire upper lid.
2. Use a gold shadow to highlight the bottom lid close to the lash line.
3. Dab on a matte brown at the outer corners for contrast.
Cream eye shadow in Savage, $21; sephora.com
HiP metallic shadow duo in Gilded 806, $7; drugstore.com
MATTE RED LIPS
Belle's dramatic—yet not overly shiny—red lipstick is "a modern way to re-create the 1940s," says her makeup artist Sammy Mourabit.
1. Use a tissue to remove moisture from the lips.
2. Choose a red lip pencil to contour and blend in to soften hard lines.
3. Dab lipstick onto the lips with your finger for a long-lasting effect.
Le Lipstique LipColouring stick in Enchantment, $23; lancome-usa.com
Rouge Hydrabase creme lipstick in Fire, $27; chanel.com