updated 06/01/2009 AT 01:00 AM EDT
•originally published 06/01/2009 AT 01:00 AM EDT
Alyssa Milano's Guide to
MAJOR LEAGUE FUN
When it comes to taking a jaunt to the ballpark, this actress has all the bases covered
The author of Safe at Home: Confessions of a Baseball Fanatic offers her tips for a fun, affordable field day.
1 SCOUT OUT FREEBIES
"Teams have giveaway nights, where the first 25,000 fans to arrive get a free hat or a bobble head. It's a great way to start a memorabilia collection."
2 BOOK THE JUMBOTRON
"I cry when I see a marriage proposal on the Jumbotron," admits Milano. To land on the big screen—which typically costs around $50—call your team's front office. (See MLB.com for contacts.)
3 SKIP THE TEAM TEE
"I bought Dodgers sweatbands [$ 10] because I was like, I'm not paying $50 for a pink T-shirt, but this way I still support the team."
3 STADIUMS EVERY FAN SHOULD VISIT
"They've updated it without taking away its classicness. Plus it's my stadium! It's got that smell that lets me know I'm home."
"The baseball travels farther due to the altitude. And you can see the Rocky Mountains from right field."
"Fenway is exactly what you think it'd be like: so intimate. There's just such a sense of community."
DINNER FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The Top Chef fan fave and new cookbook author offers up a hearty Tuscan recipe
Viviani's Cafe Firenze Cookbook hits stores June 30
ITALIAN STEAK WITH CREAMY POLENTA
• ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
• 2 ¾ cups water
• ¾ tsp. salt
• 1 flank steak (around 1 lb., about ½ inch thick)
• ½ tsp. pepper
• 4 tsp. olive oil
• 1 small onion, sliced
• 1 sprig each of sage and rosemary
• 2 red peppers, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 can diced tomatoes in juices (14.5 oz.)
• ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Mix cornmeal, about
2 ½ cups water and ¼ tsp. salt in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic and microwave on high for 12-14 minutes. Whisking every 3 minutes until thick.
2. Sprinkle ¼ tsp. of salt and pepper on both sides of steak.
3. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large skillet and the sage and rosemary. Cook steaks for 2-3 minutes per side and until they are browned and cooked to medium. Remove to a platter, cover loosely with foil.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. of oil in the same skillet. Sauté onion and peppers for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
5. Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, ¼ cup of water and ¼ tsp of salt and pepper. Simmer covered for 5 minutes. Whisk Parmesan into the polenta. Spoon vegetables and sauce on steak, serve with polenta.
A MOVIE AND DESSERT: THE STAR TREK EXPERIENCE
After you catch the flick, try making this treat we unearthed from an old Trekkie cookbook.
VULCAN APPLE PASTRY
• 4 cups of Gala or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
• 2 refrigerated pie crusts
• ¼ cup light brown sugar
• 1 egg, beaten
• ¼ cup melted butter
• 1 tbsp. fresh-squeezed or bottled lemon juice
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Unroll pie crusts and cut out 24 4-inch circles with a cookie cutter. Line the cups of a greased 2-inch muffin tin with individual shells of crust. Spoon chopped apples into the individual shells, filling them just ¾ full.
2. Mix the egg, butter, lemon juice, brown sugar, cream and cinnamon together and pour the mixture over the apples.
3. Moisten the edge of the crust and cover each muffin cup with another circle of crust. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top crust is golden.
Entertain Like a Movie Star
THE PERFECT PICNIC
Joan McNamara, owner of L.A.'s celeb hot spot Joan's on Third, reveals her tips for a glorious outdoor spread
PACK FINGER FOODS
"Bring smaller portions of cheese, salami, olives and fruit. It's fun to share."
DRESS IT UP
"Paper plates are okay, but I like to find antique silverware to use."
ADD SOME COLOR
"I love to bring freshly cut flowers."
"Don't forget dessert. Cupcakes travel well, and everyone loves them."
Green picnic basket, $8.99, Pick Up Sticks game, $3.99; worldmarket.com for stores; floral water bottle, $16; patinastores.com
Orange and white picnic mat, $16.99; worldmarket.com for stores.
IF YOU'RE IN L.A.
Courteney Cox Arquette Arquette and Isla Fisher go to Joan's for bites like this baguette filled with ham and Brie.
We Asked ...
What's Your Favorite Warm Weather Activity?
"Taking my pit bull Patch to the beach. He's the love of my life."
"Going camping in New Hampshire with my husband and the kids."
"When women wear sundresses, just walking around is entertaining."
"I do lots of different activities. I do yoga, I work out with a trainer, I hike, and I play beach volleyball—I'm definitely into volleyball."
Award-winning designer Dror Benshetrit debuts at Target
"My style is about transformation, with space-saving in mind," says Benshetrit. His collapsible wall clock proves his point.
Mess is no match for this stackable book case. "The easiest way to deal with clutter is to organize things in a grid," he says.
Flipping this pillow's graphic panels over to reveal a hummingbird gives "a subtle change to your environment," he says. "But one that makes a difference."
The Israeli designer's collection hits Target and Target.com June 14