The Colonel's Recipe!
Hands-On time: 30 min.
Total time: 2 hrs., 30 min.
The Colonel's coleslaw is the second most popular side on the chain's menu (the mashed potatoes are No. 1). This recipe has been modified slightly for at-home preparation.
1 head cabbage (about 2½ lbs.), chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 cup salad dressing or mayonnaise
½ cup sugar
1¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup tarragon vinegar
¼ cup canola oil
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
2. Whisk together salad dressing and remaining ingredients; pour over cabbage mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and chill 2 hours.
Make it in a Slow Cooker!
SPICY BAKED BEANS
Hands-On time: 15 min.
Total time: 3 hrs., 15 min.
1 lb. ground pork sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 (28-oz.) cans bold-and-spicy baked beans
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
1 (15-oz.) can light or dark kidney beans, drained
1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until no longer pink; drain, reserving 1 tbsp. drippings. Add onion; sauté until tender.
2. Stir together sausage, onions and remaining ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 3 hours.
302 fewer calories than traditional potato salad
SOUTHERN-STYLE POTATO SALAD
Hands-On time: 25 min.
Total time: 3 hrs., 25 min.
4 lbs. russet potatoes
1½ tbsp. salt, divided
2 hard-cooked eggs, grated
¾ cup finely chopped celery
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1 cup light mayonnaise
½ cup light sour cream
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard Garnishes: chopped fresh parsley, grape tomatoes and black pepper
1. Combine potatoes, 1 tbsp. salt and water to cover in large Dutch oven. Boil 40 minutes over medium-high heat, or until tender. Drain, cool and peel potatoes; cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Combine potatoes, eggs and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Stir together mayo, sour cream, ½ tbsp. salt and remaining ingredients; gently stir into potato mixture. Cover and chill. Garnish.
Turn up the fun at your next cookout with cool grill gear
PICNIC TABLE CONDIMENTS SET
GRILL FRIENDS STEAKHOUSE BURGER PRESS
Flip four burgers at once!
BURGER GRILLING BASKET
GRILLSLINGER SPORT BARBECUE TOOL BELT
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine