Coroner: Danny Gans Died of Toxic Reaction to Pain Medication

06/09/2009 at 04:45 PM EDT

Coroner: Danny Gans Died of Toxic Reaction to Pain Medication
Danny Gans
AP
Las Vegas entertainer Danny Gans died from a toxic reaction to medication he was taking for chronic back pain, the coroner announced Tuesday.

Gans, 52, was using the prescription drug hydromorphone, commonly known as Dilaudid, at the time of his May 1 death, says Clark County Coroner Michael Murphy.

"This is not an issue of drug abuse," Murphy said, though he would not say what the level of Dilaudid was.

Gans's unexpected death sparked rumors of drug use – rumors his management fought vigorously to dismiss.

Gans's spot-on impersonations of celebrities made him a popular headliner on TV and in Las Vegas. He had recently signed a contract to appear exclusively at Encore Las Vegas, and had previously played at the Mirage and Rio.

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

Advertisement

From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners



Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters