updated 07/20/2009 AT 01:00 AM EDT
•originally published 07/20/2009 AT 01:00 AM EDT
Go FOR A SPIN!
When it comes to summer road trips, these celebs have suggestions—for the two-wheeled kind!
"I did a bike trip this [past] summer with my dad in Ireland."
"I cycle two to three hours a day. I love the beauty of the seaside in Malibu."
"I bike in the area around Napeague, N.Y. I love the off-trail there."
Through Sept. 31, PEOPLE readers get 20% off* all items (including these, shown at full price) at beachbikes.net.
Firmstrong Urban Lady Cruiser, $159.99
I Love My Bike Bell, $6
Electra Gypsy Wicker Basket with Liner, $49.99
Art Smith ...
DINNER FOR FOUR UNDER $10
The chef of Chicago's Table Fifty-Two (a favorite of President Obama's) shares his classic casserole recipe
Catch Smith on Bravo's Top Chef Masters airing Wednesdays at 10pm ET/PT
• 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
• 6 oz. asparagus, woody stems discarded, cut into 1 inch pieces
• ¼ cup water
• 4 cups cubed (1 inch cubes) cooked chicken
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1 ½ cups milk
• 1 ½ cups chicken broth
• 6 large eggs
• 1 tbsp. chopped parsley
• 1 tbsp. chopped chives
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ tsp. black pepper
• 6 cups cubed (1 inch cubes) French bread
• 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus, water and cover. Cook until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook until all liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to large bowl.
2. Add chicken and mayonnaise, mix well. Whisk milk, broth, eggs, parsley, chives, salt and pepper in another bowl.
3. Lightly butter a 13 × 9-inch glass baking dish. Spread half of bread cubes in dish; top with chicken mixture. Spread remaining cubes over chicken. Pour egg mixture over ingredients in dish. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 10 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve hot.
Chef Alan Jackson of the L.A. restaurant Lemonade shares his cucumber mint lemonade recipe: Blend ½ lb. chopped cucumber and 1/3 cup mint with a pitcher of lemonade. Strain and serve over ice.
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Thomas Keller's ... FRIED CHICKEN KIT
CHEAP & FANCY
The top chef has packaged together his special seasoning and brine so you can make golden fried chicken like you'd find at his Napa Valley restaurant Ad Hoc. $14.95; williams-sonoma.com.
Vera Wang's ...
HIS & HER DECOR
The designer's home line for Kohls melds feminine and masculine styles
Mix a soft, feminine color such as pale green with masculine stripes or clean angular lines, says Wang. "The real beauty is the tension between the two."
In the bathroom, candles or new towels can give the space an instant update.
KEEP ONE MAIN GOAL IN MIND
The home should be a "modern sanctuary," says Wang.
SIGNATURE KEY SHOWER CURTAIN, SALE PRICE: $14; kohls.com
OPTICS TISSUE HOLDER, SALE PRICE: $9; kohls.com
SOAP TRAY, $21.99; 866-887-8884 for stores
SIGNATURE KEY TOWELS, SALE PRICE: $3 -$5.80; kohls.com
WOW YOUR GUESTS WITH CHOCOLATE!
Chocolatier Max Brenner on throwing a yummy bash
MILK CHOCOLATE FONDUE
• 1 cup whole milk
• 2 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
1. Pour milk into a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil over medium-low heat.
2. Place chocolate chips in a large heatproof bowl. Pour the milk over the chocolate; stir until smooth.
3. If needed, chill the fondue in the fridge to thicken, 5 minutes.
4. Remove and enjoy dipping with marshmallows and fruits like strawberries, apples or pears. Serves 6.
MARSHMALLOW FUDGE BROWNIE ICE-CREAM SANDWICH
• 8 large chocolate chip cookies (store bought)
• ½ cup marshmallow fluff
• 1 cup peanut butter ice cream
• 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
• ½ cup chocolate sauce (store bought)
1. Put a 2 tbsp. scoop of marshmallow fluff on top of a cookie.
3. Sprinkle chopped salted peanuts, about ¼ cup, over the fluff.
4. Put about a ¼ cup scoop of softened ice cream on top of the marshmallow fluff. Cover the ice cream with the second cookie.
5. Place in freezer to harden, about 5 minutes.
6. Remove and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Serves 4.
1 Gold-plated fun
"Use gold platters piled with colorful skewers of marshmallows, pineapple, bananas and apricots," says Brenner.
Caspari, $7.50; 800-227-7274
2 Try some sweet accents
Brenner's decor tip: "Decorate around the colors of chocolate—dark brown, light brown, white."
Silk Road, $24.99-$34.99; bedbathandbeyond.com
3 Fondue with flair
If you want to give your fondue a twist, you can add everything from cayenne pepper to flavored liqueurs to mint leaves to the mix.
Available at Marshalls, $6.99; 800.Marshalls for stores
*To claim your discount, go to beachbikes.net and enter promotion code PEOPLEMAG at checkout. Offer valid through Sept. 31