10/06/2009 AT 10:20 AM EDT
has accepted "substantial" damages from a British newspaper that published private photos of her wedding to movie director Guy Ritchie.
The Mail on Sunday
used the series of shots – which had been kept in the couple's wedding album – shortly after they confirmed they would split
Madonna, 51, had asked for $8 million in damages, the Associated Press reports, and a settlement was announced Tuesday. The Mail on Sunday
's owners, Associated Newspapers, will pay the undisclosed damages and Madonna's lawyer, John Kelly, said the proceeds will be donated to the singer's Raising Malawi charity.
Kelly told the court that an interior designer, who was working at Madonna's Beverly Hills home, copied at least 27 photos from the December 2000 wedding album. Another woman offered them to the newspaper, which eventually bought the set for a reported $7,500 following the couple's divorce announcement
in October 2008.
A lawyer representing the Mail on Sunday
apologized to Madonna for invading her privacy and infringing her copyright.
The couple's split became final in January. Despite being linked to baseball star Alex
and model Jesus Luz, settling down for a third marriage doesn't appear to be in Madonna's future, she says. She recently told David Letterman
she would rather be "run over by a train" than marry again.