Tiger Woods Backs Out of Tournament 'Due to Injuries'

Tiger Woods Backs Out of Tournament 'Due to Injuries'
Tiger Woods
UPI Photo/Landov

11/30/2009 03:15PM

Tiger Woods is done with professional golf this year.

Citing injuries from his mysterious car accident, Woods will not play or appear at this week's Chevron World Challenge in California, his last scheduled competition of 2009.

"I am extremely disappointed that I will not be at my tournament this week," Woods wrote in a post on his official Web site on Monday. "I am certain it will be an outstanding event and I'm very sorry that I can't be there."

The site said he was "unable to play ... due to injuries sustained in a one-car accident," but didn't elaborate on the nature of the injuries. When officers arrived at Woods' house early Friday morning, the golf pro was lying on the street and, according to Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor, he "had lacerations on his lower and upper lips and blood in his mouth." Woods also lapsed in and out of consciousness.



Woods, 33, had been expected to fly to California for the annual tournament at Sherwood Country Club in Thousand Oaks, Calif., which benefits his Tiger Woods Foundation. The four-day tournament will begin on Thursday.

This is the second year in a row that Woods has missed the tournament. Last year, the golfer was recovering from knee surgery and was unable to participate.

"We support Tiger's decision and are confident the strong field and excellent course will provide an exciting week of competition at the Chevron World Challenge," Greg McLaughlin, Tiger Woods Foundation President & CEO, said in a statement posted on Woods's Web site.

According to the post on Woods' site, the golfer will not participate in any other tournaments this year, though he is expected to return in 2010.

See what other readers have to say about this story – or leave a comment of your own

Share this story:

Your reaction:

advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners