Dessert of the Month
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
Total time: 1 hr., 20 min.
1 (16-oz.) frozen pound cake, thawed
1 (16-oz.) container chocolate fudge frosting
½ (9-oz.) package chocolate wafer cookies, finely crushed
1 (7-oz.) package shortbread or butter cookies
Rollable fruit snacks
Leaf-shaped spearmint candies
Starburst or other fruit-flavored soft taffy candies
6-in. wooden skewers
Jelly beans, halved
Green apple licorice sticks
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
The flower box:
• Spread frosting over top and sides of pound cake. Sprinkle crushed chocolate wafers over top of cake.
• Press shortbread cookies onto cake sides to form flower box.
• Cut strips of rollable fruit snacks to fit around flower box. Spread a small amount of frosting onto one side of fruit strips; press strips gently into place to cover seams of cookies and form "ribbon" around flower box.
• Arrange spearmint candies on top of flower box as desired.
The candy flowers: Fill the flower box with these blossoms.
1. Pansies: Roll soft taffy candies into small circles. Thread onto skewers; fold candy to form flowers. Top with jelly bean halves.
2. Calla lilies: Flatten fruit-slice candies; twist around ends of skewers.
3. Roses: Coil and twist 6-in. pieces of rollable fruit snacks around ends of skewers. Put jelly bean halves in flower centers.
4. Leaves and stems: Cut green rollable fruit into leaf shapes. Thread leaves and licorice onto skewers beneath flowers.
Heat taffy candies in microwave for one second to soften.
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine