08/23/2010 at 01:00 AM EDT
EAT, PRAY, LOVE PASTA
Buon Appetito! The film's food stylist Susan Spungen shares a simple, classic Roman dish featured in the movie
SPAGHETTI ALLA CARBONARA
Serves 4 to 6
• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
• ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
• 4 oz. pancetta (cured Italian bacon), cubed
• 1 lb. dry spaghetti
• 1 tbsp. salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
1. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl until just combined. Whisk in the cheeses. Set aside.
2. Place the pancetta in a large saute pan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the bacon is crisp on the outside and much of the fat has rendered out, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil and add the salt. Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Before draining the pasta, reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water.
4. Drain the pasta and add to the pan with the pancetta. Over medium heat, toss the pasta well, making sure it is piping hot. Remove from heat and stir in the egg mixture quickly, tossing to coat the pasta evenly.
5. Season with plenty of black pepper and toss again. Add a little of the reserved pasta water (start with ¼ cup) to thin out to the desired creamy consistency. Add salt to taste if needed.
6. Divide among heated bowls, top each serving with a few grinds of pepper, and serve immediately.
FOOD TRUCK NATION
Putting a gourmet twist on street fare, restaurants on wheels are revving up foodies all across the country
From Milwaukee's Streetza Pizza to Miami's Latin House Grill, food trucks are popping up everywhere. Even Hollywood has jumped on the bandwagon. L.A.'s Baby's Badass Burgers truck (above) visited Adrian Grenier and his Entourage costars on a recent episode. Tennis star Serena Williams had a Taco Boy truck at her L.A. housewarming party July 12. And the cast and crew of Law & Order: SVU are big fans of the Korean-fusion fare from the Jersey City-based truck The Krave. "We're all hoping they'll visit us on-set one day!" says a rep for the show.
THE GREAT FOOD TRUCK RACE HOST
• WHY ARE FOOD TRUCKS SO HOT?
I think it started when the economy started to downturn. All these great chefs had a hard time raising money to open a restaurant.
• WHAT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT FOOD TRUCKS?
It's a very social experience, and it's not like you have to make a reservation or get a babysitter to eat there.
• ANY PLANS FOR YOUR OWN TRUCK? I'm actually planning a rotisserie chicken truck in Napa.
Shop the Set
On Aug. 12, eBay is auctioning pieces from the AMC hit's old Sterling Cooper offices. Here are some standouts
1. Vintage lamps
"The lighting back then was just exquisite," says original set decorator Amy Wells of these accent pieces in boss Roger Sterling's office.
2. Mid-century sofa
"I only used colors that were correct for that period," she says of Sterling's chartreuse couch.
3. Swanky chairs
"Roger's sophisticated office definitely reflected his high level in the company," Wells says.
4. Sleek desk
"This was the perfect desk for Don Draper," Wells says. "Stylish yet solid. That desk will be around for another 150 years."
Partial proceeds from eBay's Mad Men charity auction benefit City of Hope's Lung Cancer Program.
We Asked ...
What's Your Favorite Backyard Activity?
• JEREMY PIVEN
"I love throwing around a football. I like to stretch out for a pass and then fall into the pool so you don't actually get hurt. That's exciting to me."
• NATALIE MORALES
"There are a lot of water guns on my block. Super Soakers have been a big hit, especially on the hot days."
• RYAN KWANTEN
"I recently acquired the American tradition of Beer Pong! It's new to me, so I'm the one always asking to play. I actually have quite a good arc. I'm good at drinking anyway."