American Idol Stylist Talks Female Finalists’ Fashions
03/23/2010 AT 12:00 AM EDT
"My biggest pet peeve is when pants are too long and it looks like you have a broken ankle," she says.
Called on to pick the outfits for Carrie Underwood's tour, An, 28, went for high glam. "She's definitely edgier in this tour. I used Swarovski elements on all of her outfits," she says. "She's shining like a star and she can really walk in those five-inch heels. That girl can work it!"
What about season 9's Carrie Underwood wannabes? An says there are definite makeovers in the works for the women of Idol, but "we're taking steps, not leaps."
The stylist, who lives with her boyfriend in an L.A. home that's decked out in a retro, surfer style with furniture found in vintage stores, gives PEOPLE a fashionable tour of Idol's remaining female finalists.
• For Katie Stevens it's all about keeping things "young, fresh and bubbly," says An. "While singing 'Wild Horses' I wanted to make her look innocent and precious."
• For the "quirky and different" Magnus it's about keeping it fun and eclectic. "She'll rock the Doc Martin's and a dress and she loves pink, insects and skulls." But can she strut in a pair of heels? "She needs a little catwalk training," says An. "You might see her in wedges, but we'll work it out."
• Bowersox is "my sentimental girl," says An. "Everything she wears has sentimental meaning." Will the cool guitar player vamp it up this season? Well, she may not slip on a short skirt, but An assures, "there are different sides of Crystal that the world has yet to see."
• When An met Paige Miles, who was firm about not wanting to show her arms, all the singer had with her were black clothes. "Now she's into blue and green," says An who loves to shop for the contestants at the Beverly Center, Live on Sunset, and boutiques and vintage stores on Melrose and 3rd St., in L.A.
• Didi Benami, An says, is "the southern, country girl with a bohemian folk twist." According to An, she'll continue to don color and show off her curves. --Jessica Herndon
Tell us: Which Idol contestant's style do you love?Michael Becker/FX