The judge on TV's red-hot cooking competition upgrades an American classic
1 lb. ground sirloin
½ lb. ground pork
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1½ cups olive oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled
½ cup mayonnaise
½ lb. Brie cheese, cut into 8 slices
4 hamburger rolls, halved
1 bunch watercress, stems trimmed, well washed
1. Gently combine sirloin, pork, salt and pepper.
2. Loosely form into 4-in.-thick patties and refrigerate until ready to grill.
3. Combine vinegar, ½ cup oil and onions in a bowl for at least 30 minutes.
4. Simmer garlic and remaining oil on low for 10-15 minutes, until tender; discard oil.
5. Puree garlic with mayonnaise in a blender until smooth. Refrigerate.
6. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium.
7. Pat onions dry and grill 3 minutes per side.
8. Grill burgers 8 minutes per side. Add 2 slices of Brie to each burger during last 3 minutes.
9. Spread 1 tbsp. garlic mayo on each half of roll and top with ¼ of the watercress. Place burger on roll and top with onions and bun half.
MasterChef airs Wednesdays, 8-10 P.M. ET on FOX
SALAD WITH A TWIST
Hot sauce and warm dressing make for a fresh, flavorful dish
UGLY DUCKLING SALAD
½ cup pistachio nuts, shelled
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup hot water
½ tsp. hot sauce (optional)
½ cup canola oil
Splash of extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
1 bag baby spinach, washed and dried thoroughly
1 Fuji apple, thinly sliced
1 bulb celeriac (celery root), cleaned, peeled and grated
1. Warm a small skillet over medium heat. Add pistachios and toast until light brown, shaking pan to avoid burning nuts. Add nuts to blender along with garlic, half the lemon juice, a little hot water, hot sauce, a little canola oil and a sprinkle of salt. Blend until smooth, adding water and canola oil as needed until dressing is the consistency of thin hummus. Blend in olive oil, lemon juice and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, toss spinach, apple and celeriac. Pour dressing over salad and toss again. Let sit for five minutes, and then serve.
Aarti Party airs Sundays at noon on Food Network
Jamie-Lynn Sigler's decor weakness? "I'm a big picture-frame person," says the actress, 29, whose go-to place to buy frames is Long Island's Just for the Home. Her biggest challenge? "I'm learning how to make them not look like clutter." Here are her frame-displaying tips.
1 "I like light-colored wood frames in my bedroom," says Sigler. Roma Moulding Provence Frame, 5"×7", $52
2 "Some frames stand alone, and in other areas, I group them," she says. Lazy Susan Metal Strap Frame, 5"×7", $70
3 "I constantly rotate in different photos," she says. Lazy Susan Faux Leather frame with nickel edge, 4"×6", $60
4 "I hang them in random places-like my walk-in closet," says Sigler. Roma Moulding Belle Epoque Frame, 4"×6", $48
All frames available at Just for the Home, 631-271-5060
Celebrity Summer Vacations
Stars tweet about their summer adventures away from Hollywood
"Amazing French pizza din w the fam in a small village in Provence."
NEIL PATRICK HARRIS
"In Athens, on vacation. Hiked up to the Acropolis. Saw the Parthenon. Blown away. So much more authentic than the one in Nashville...."
"Shangri-La! I had a sweet suite with a deck, where I did some tasty shan-grillin'. aah, Vancouver. I miss you already."
'I love Germany and had such amazing time sightseeing and hanging with all the great fans here. Thank you for making my trip so rememberable!'