Donatella Arpaia's Hangover Brunch
• Fried-egg "Hangover" pizza
• Lime Ricotta waffles
• Fresh fruit
• Orange juice
• Coconut Cure drink
• Coffee cake
The Coconut Cure
MAKES 1 DRINK
10 mint leaves
Half a lime
1 tsp. sugar
1½ oz. pineapple juice (or substitute 1½ oz. rum)
6 oz. coconut water
1. Crush mint leaves in a tall glass.
2. Squeeze lime juice into glass.
3. Add sugar and pineapple juice or rum. Stir to dissolve sugar.
4. Fill glass with ice and add coconut water. Stir. Garnish with a mint sprig.
1 lb. of pizza dough, at room temperature
10 oz. robiola cheese, rind removed, at room temperature. (Or combine 5 oz. fresh mozzarella, 5 oz. smoked mozzarella and 2 tbsp. pecorino Romano, all grated) Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup baby arugula
2-3 tbsp. of white truffle oil or a drizzle of your favorite flavored olive oil
1. 30 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 500 and place baking sheet in lower third of the oven.
2. Place pizza dough on a large sheet of parchment paper, and dust with flour. Roll out dough into a 10-12-in. rectangle. Using a fork, pierce dough all over. Slide pizza along with paper onto hot baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Push down dough using back of spoon. Cook another 3 minutes.
3. Remove pizza, and spread or sprinkle cheese, salt and freshly ground pepper. Top with arugula. Carefully crack 4 eggs on top of pizza. Put pie back into oven until eggs are cooked, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, and drizzle with truffle oil. Cut into squares and serve hot.
Lime Ricotta Waffles
3 cups buttermilk
¾ tsp. baking soda
2¼ cups flour
5 tbsp. cornmeal
¾ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. kosher salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled Zest of two limes
¾ cup ricotta
3 tbsp. sugar
1. Combine buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Beat in egg yolks, melted butter, lime zest, ricotta and buttermilk mixture until just mixed.
3. Beat together egg whites and sugar until whites form soft peaks. Stir 1/3 of whites into batter to lighten. Then, in two batches, gently fold in rest of whites.
4. Bake waffles according to instructions on waffle iron. Cool, then place in zip-lock freezer bags. Freeze until firm. When ready to serve, place waffles in toaster oven on medium setting. Toast until crisp.