Jump-Start Dinner with Salsa
Makes: 6 servings Hands-on-time: 20 min. Total time: 1hr. 15 min.
½ (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
4 green onions, chopped
1½ cups (6 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 (16-oz.) jar mild salsa, divided
½ cup milk
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Fit piecrust into a 9-in. pie plate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Freeze crust 10 minutes.
3. Bake crust for 7 minutes; remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350.
4. Sprinkle bacon, green onions and ¾ cup cheese into prepared crust.
5. Whisk together eggs, ½ cup salsa and next 3 ingredients; pour into crust and sprinkle evenly with remaining ¾ cup cheese.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
SHRIMP, PEPPERS AND PASTA
Makes: 4 servings Hands-on-time: 25 min. Total time: 30 min.
1 large green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup white wine
1 (16-oz.) jar chunky mild salsa
½ cup pitted ripe olives, cut in half
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
8 oz. angel-hair pasta
1 lb. large (21-25 count) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro or parsley
1. Saute pepper strips in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until tender. Add white wine; cook 1 minute.
2. Stir salsa and next 3 ingredients into pepper mixture; bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; keep warm.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
4. Toss together shrimp mixture and pasta. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
SWEET 'N' SPICY PORK TENDERLOIN
Makes: 4 servings Hands-on-time: 15 min. Total time: 25 min.
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 (1½-lb.) pork tenderloin
2/3 cup mild chunky salsa
2 tbsp. seedless raspberry preserves
2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Trim pork; cut crosswise into 12 (¾-in.) slices. Place slices between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to ½-in. thickness, using a rolling pin.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; spoon soy mixture evenly over pork. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 minutes, until browned. Turn pork; cook 3 minutes, until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
4. Add salsa and preserves to pan. Cook over medium-high heat; stir constantly, 30 seconds, until mixture thickens. Serve pork with salsa mixture; sprinkle with cilantro.
Makes: 8 servings Hands-on-time: 25 min. Total time: 1 hr. 10 min.
2 cups Greek yogurt
1 cup heavy cream
12 (5½-in.) corn tortillas, cut in half
1 (16-oz.) jar tomatillo salsa
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
2 (4-oz.) cans chopped green chilies, drained
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1. Combine yogurt and cream.
2. Place 1/3 of tortillas in a lightly greased 11×7-in. baking dish. Layer ½ each salsa, chicken, yogurt mixture, chilies and 1/3 of cheese.
3. Place 1/3 of tortillas in baking dish; layer remaining salsa, chicken, yogurt mixture, chilies and 1/3 of cheese. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese.
4. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil; bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
SLOW COOKER BARBECUED BRISKET
Makes: 8 to 10 servings Hands-on-time: 30 min. Total time: 16 hrs. 45 min.
1½ tbsp. crushed garlic
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. crushed red pepper
1 (4 to 5-lb.) trimmed beef brisket
2 (16-oz.) jars chunky medium salsa
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. instant beef bouillon granules
Dill pickle chips
1. Combine garlic and peppers; rub mixture over all sides of brisket.
2. Stir together salsa and remaining ingredients. Place brisket in a 3-qt. shallow baking dish. Pour salsa mixture over brisket; cover and chill overnight or at least 8 hours.
3. Place beef and salsa mixture in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender. Shred beef; cover and keep warm.
4. Bring cooking liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced by one-third.
5. Serve beef and sauce on buns with pickles.
Prepare brisket as directed. Bake, covered, at 300 for 4½ hours or until beef is fork-tender.