06/13/2011 at 06:00 PM EDT
After a fire destroyed her $20,000-a-month Malibu rental house last fall, Ricki Lake felt
"gratitude and blessings" nobody was hurt.
Now she's feeling the heat from a lawsuit filed by her landlord alleging that the talk show host negligently set the fire by improperly refilling oil into a portable space heater.
"[Lake] caused the oil to spill which was ignited by the hot heating coils which [Lake] had not allowed to cool," says lawsuit. "The flaming oil quickly caught hold and began to burn items inside the property. [Lake] failed or did not attempt to extinguish the fire."
The lawsuit was filed June 6 in Los Angeles Superior Court and seeks unspecified damages.