Giada's crostini and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (inset)
Jim Franco; Inset: John Stillwell/Getty
07/11/2011 AT 08:00 AM EDT
Can't join Prince William
at the Foundation Polo Challenge
in California on Saturday?
Then try this dish – one that Giada De Laurentiis will be preparing
for the royal couple
at the event – at home instead.
"It's elegant comfort food," the celebrity chef tells PEOPLE of her recipe.
Beef Tenderloin Crostini
(Serves 6 –8)
½ baguette sliced into 20 (¼–to–½–in. –thick) slices
Extra–virgin olive oil
ground black pepper
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. coriander
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 4–oz. filet mignon steaks
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. mascarpone cheese
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
1 ¼ tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ cup cilantro leaves
1. Preheat oven to 400º. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with ¼ tsp. salt. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave oven on.
2. Spray a small baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.
3. Combine ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. pepper, cumin, coriander and garlic. Rub the mixture all over the steaks. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium–high heat. Add steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain into 20 (¼–in.–thick) slices.
4. Whisk together mayonnaise, mascarpone cheese, basil, curry powder, smoked paprika, ½ tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper.
5. Spread ½ tsp. of mayonnaise over each toast slice. Top each with a slice of steak. Place ¼ tsp. of mayonnaise on top of the steak. Finish with a cilantro leaf.