Tyler Clementi's Final Days

08/13/2011 at 12:00 PM EDT

Tyler Clementi's Final Days
Tyler Clementi (left) and Dharun Ravi
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North/AP
From the very beginning it seems Tyler Clementi and Dharun Ravi were not a roommate match made in heaven, according to court documents released Thursday.

Having first checked out the other online, Ravi was alarmed when he saw a Facebook profile of someone with Tyler's first name who was "flamboyantly gay," the documents say.

"Upon learning that his roommate was actually Tyler, the defendant commented that his real roommate was 'also gay but regular gay,' " according to a motion to dismiss all charges against Ravi filed Wednesday by his attorney, Steven Altman.

In April a grand jury approved 15 charges against Ravi, including intimidation and bias as well as offenses related to trying to cover up his own actions after Tyler committed suicide last Sept. 22.

"The evidence presented to the Grand Jury was insufficient to establish the elements of any of the crimes charged," Altman wrote.

Worried About Spying

Yet the emails and texts do show that after school started in late August 2010, Tyler sensed Ravi was "uncomfortable" with his homosexuality, because he changed his clothes in his closet. Tyler had also noticed that Ravi had his webcam pointed toward him and was worried he was spying on him.

But it wasn't until after his Sept. 19 encounter in his dorm room with a man identified only as M.B. that Tyler's suspicions were confirmed.

The following night, Tyler checked Ravi's Twitter account and saw his posting saying, "Turned on iChat and saw my roommate making out with a dude. Yay."

Tyler chatted online with a friend about it around 11:35 p.m. "When I first read the tweet I def[initely] felt violated," he wrote to someone identified only as H.Y. "But then when I remembered what actually happened. .Idk [(I don't know)] … Doesn't seem s0000 bad lol."

A few hours later, Tyler went online and requested a new roommate. "Roommate used webcam to spy on me," he wrote. "Want a single room."

He also sought advice on an online message board on Sept. 21. He described Ravi's behavior as "obnoxious," and his own level of annoyance as "kinda pissed."

Ravi, meanwhile, told one friend he was "creeped out" by what he saw and said the webcam "keeps the gays away," the documents show.

Final Message

At around 6 p.m. on Sept. 21, Tyler texted Ravi asking to ask to use the room again that night. About 40 minutes later, Ravi posted to his Twitter, "Anyone with iChat, I dare you to video chat me between the hours of 9:30 and 12. Yes, it's happening again."

Documents says Tyler met M.B. in his room around 10:19 p.m., but not before unplugging the computer, and on the following day, Sept. 22, Ravi and Tyler did not see each other much.

Ravi told police he last saw Tyler around 4:30 p.m. Tyler was last seen at Rutgers around 6:30 p.m.

He sent a text message to H.Y. at 7:15 p.m., and at 8:42 p.m. used his cell phone to send a text message to Facebook and update his status. It read: "Jumping off the gw [George Washington] bridge, sorry."

Fourteen minutes later, Ravi texted Tyler an apology.

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Chelsea Clinton is Pregnant!
  • Exclusive Royal Tour Diary

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

blog comments powered by Disqus

From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters