Dog Swallow 7-Inch Spoon – and Survives!

01/20/2012 at 09:00 AM EST

Dog Swallow 7-Inch Spoon – and Survives!
Laura-Chase McGehee/AP
No one is sure how it got there, but the proof is in the X-ray: 9-year-old Labrador retriever, Vincent, swallowed a 7-in. tablespoon that definitely could have killed him.

"We changed his [breed] to a utensil retriever," Dr. W. Chase Coale III of Greater Annapolis Veterinary Hospital told the AP, after removing the flatware from the dog's stomach. "It's amazing he's alive."

The $2,500 procedure was complicated by the fact that Vincent's spleen and intestines got in the way, but in the end, the pooch was able to go home the next day to his mother, Laurie Neomany of Annapolis, Md., who is not the least bit surprised about what Vincent was packing.

"He's been a trash hound from the start," said Neomany. "I suspect [the spoon] had food on it and he must have been in a hurry and swallowed it down fast."



A plastic bag and a rose bush have also seen the inside of Vincent's belly, the report said. Thankfully, surgery wasn't necessary to retrieve either.

Dog Swallow 7-Inch Spoon – and Survives!| Dogs

Laura-Chase McGehee / AP





Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Chelsea Clinton is Pregnant!
  • Exclusive Royal Tour Diary

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

From Our Partners

Watch It

Latest Photos

Stars and Their Pets

Gavin's Pooch Pick-Me-Up

From Our Partners



Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters