Jimmy Kimmel and Kerry Washington
07/19/2012 AT 10:05 AM EDT
If Thursday's announcement of the Emmy Awards nominations
is any indication, TV fans will be laughing out loud when the show, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, airs live Sept. 23.
That's because Kimmel, who replaced Nick Offerman late Wednesday night, was a hoot while delivering the news alongside Scandal star Kerry Washington
. She stepped up to the podium at the Television Academy's Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre in Los Angeles in a pretty white, flowered top with her hair slicked back. Kimmel, on the other hand, was disheveled in lavender pajamas.
Here are the Emmy host's best lines:
"This is a sex dream, isn't it?"
– Looking confused, Kimmel stepped onto the stage and cracked a joke about being a last-minute replacement for Nick Offerman
"This could be just as good at noon, really."
– Joking about the announcement's early hour – since the nominations are revealed live from Los Angeles at 5:40 a.m. PST
"This is from the husky baby collection. Thank you for asking."
– In response to Kerry Washington's question ("Who are you wearing?") about his sleepwear
"Only old people get up this early I guess."
– Commenting on loud cheers for Betty White's nomination as outstanding host for a reality or reality competition program
"Should I give a speech now or what? How does this work?"
– Reacting to his own nomination for outstanding variety series for ABC late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live
The 64th annual Primetime Emmy Awards, hosted by Kimmel, will air Sunday, Sept. 23, at 7 p.m. ET on ABC, from the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live.