08/14/2012 AT 12:25 PM EDT
Sylvester Stallone says he is coping
with his son's death
the best way he knows how: by moving on with his life.
Stallone, appearing on Tuesday's Good Morning America
to promote his new movie The Expendables 2
, opened up about his son Sage's death for the first time since the 36-year-old's body was found
in Los Angeles last month.
"It's very, very tough," said Stallone. "It's a horrible situation, but time hopefully will heal, and you try to get through it, but it's just something that's a reality of life."
Stallone, who stars in the new action movie (which opens Friday) with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris and Liam Hemsworth
, says he plans to avoid sinking into a depression by continuing to work.
"It's important to get back and try to start reliving your life, otherwise you can go into a spiral," he said.
The cause of Sage Stallone's death still remains unclear, as the coroner finishes toxicology tests