Ellie Krieger's Butternut Squash Soup: Recipe
So cookbook author and Cooking Channel host Ellie Krieger is sharing this warming winter soup with PEOPLE. "This bowl of goodness is satisfying and simple to make," she tells PEOPLE.
An updated version of Ellie Krieger's book Small Changes, Big Results is in stores now.
Butternut Squash Soup
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp. ground allspice
¼ tsp. ground ginger
4 cups cubed butternut or other winter squash, fresh or frozen
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth ¾ tsp. salt 1 tbsp. maple syrup 4 tsp. plain low-fat yogurt for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a 6-quart stockpot. Add the onion and cook until soft but not brown, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic, allspice and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute more.
2. Add the squash, broth and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender and the broth is slightly reduced, about 15 minutes for fresh squash and 5 minutes for frozen. Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup. Allow soup to cool slightly, then puree in a blender until smooth.
On Newsstands Now
- Kim's Delivery Room Drama!
- Katie: A Year After Split
- Princess Kate: Palace's Baby Plan Revealed
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine