Martin Richard Laid to Rest in Boston

Martin Richard Laid to Rest at Private Family Service
Martin Richard, 8, killed by the explosions
Courtesy Lucia Brawley

04/23/2013 12:55PM

Martin Richard, the 8-year-boy killed in the Boston Marathon bombings, was laid to rest during a private family service Tuesday morning, his parents announced.

"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," Denise and Bill Richard said in a statement. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal."

Their message went on to say, "A private Funeral Mass was celebrated this morning with immediate family. We laid our son Martin to rest, and he is now at peace. We plan to have a public memorial service in the coming weeks to allow friends and loved ones from our community to join us for a celebration of Martin's life."



Immediately after Martin's death in the blasts, which also grievously injured Denise and Martin's 7-year-old sister Jane, friends of the family spoke to the Boston Globe.

"They are beloved by this community," Ayanna Pressley, a city councilor at large, said of the Richards, while a neighbor, Jane Sherman, told WCVB that Martin was a typical 8-year-old who loved to ride his bike and play baseball.

Share this story:

Your reaction:

blog comments powered by Disqus
advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners