Make sure to visit your local farmers' market for fresh berries, and save the prettiest ones for garnish!
Joseph De Leo
Martha Stewart's Strawberry Icebox PieMakes one 9-in. pie
¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced, several small whole strawberries reserved for garnish
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ tsp. salt
Prebaked graham cracker crust (store-bought is just fine)
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine ¾ cup sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups sliced strawberries, cornstarch and salt.
2. Gently mash strawberries and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until very thick, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in remaining sliced strawberries and pour into crust. Cover with plastic; refrigerate until set, 6 to 8 hours or up to 1 day.
4. Beat cream until soft peaks form. Add remaining sugar and beat until soft peaks return, an additional 30 seconds.
5. Spread whipped cream over pie, leaving a 1½-in. border. Garnish with whole berries.
Adapted from Martha Stewart's New Pies & Tarts, Clarkson Potter, 2011.