The chef, owner of Boston eatery Wahlburgers, punches up his patties with a mayonnaise-mustard blend and flavorful dill pickles.
Joseph De Leo
The MeltServes 2
2 Tbsp. each mayonnaise and mustard
1½ Tbsp. canola oil
½ tsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
½ lb. ground chuck
4 slices bacon, cooked
¼ cup melted butter
4 slices thick-sliced white bread
6 slices American cheese, halved
12 slices dill pickle
1. Whisk together mayonnaise and mustard; set aside.
2. Cook onions in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes or until onions are caramel-colored. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; set aside.
3. Shape beef into 2 patties. Season with salt and pepper. Grill patties over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove from heat. Top evenly with onions and bacon. Keep warm.
4. Brush both sides of bread slices with melted butter. Cook bread in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. As bread cooks, top each piece with 3 cheese slices.
5. Transfer bread to cutting board. Arrange pickles evenly over 2 bread slices; spread 2 Tbsp. mustard sauce over the pickles. Top with patties and remaining bread slices. Slice each melt diagonally into 2 pieces.