Ariel Castro Gets Life Without Parole, Plus 1,000 Years, in Plea Deal
07/26/2013 AT 11:10 AM EDT
Ariel Castro entered the new plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.
He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
The women – Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus – disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.
Friday's plea deal means the women will not have to testify or sit through a trial.
They escaped Castro's house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.