The Arsenio Hall Show/Courtesy CBS Television Distribution
By Raha Lewis
Prince showed that he had a sense of humor when he guested on New Girl last month.
But when PEOPLE went backstage to watch him on The Arsenio Hall Show, in an episode airing Wednesday night, we learned a whole lot more about the Purple One.
Clad in bell-bottoms, a long black fur vest, gold chains and a tame '70s afro, the famously private star took over the show as only he could.
Over the two hours of taping on Tuesday night, Prince performed three songs – his new single "FunkNRoll," "She's Always in My Hair" and "Mutiny" – chatted on the couch with Hall, and later sat with the audience to take questions from his fans, some of whom had been waiting outside the studio for more than six hours to see him.
Here's five things we learned about His Royal Badness.
1. He doesn't own a cell phone Hall told the audience that Prince was one of the first people who called him when the news broke that he was returning to late night, but he wasn't sure how the call was even made because the pop star doesn't have a cell phone. Prince quickly clarified, saying, "Everybody I know has one."
2. If he wasn't singing he would be a teacher Prince revealed that when he was 16 he was broke and went on a mission to find an alternate career. "I got the Yellow Pages out and I didn't find anything I wanted to do, so I decided I was going to become a musician and win at it," he said. But if he absolutely had to choose a different calling, he'd "want to teach in some capacity."
3. He may be coming to a city near you When he's not on tour or recording, Prince is indulging in his love of history and travel. "For the past couple of years I've been studying on my own and learning about history and trying to plan to go to the places I've been reading about," the 55-year-old said.
4. Don't get too close to the 'fro In response to a fan who asked what his pet peeve was, Prince responded, "Strangers touching my hair." Respect.
5. He's a chef When quizzed about his favorite household chore, Prince replied, "I can cook." But he only whips up one thing. Omelets. "All my friends have high cholesterol," he joked.