Celine Dion Pushes Her New Vegas Show
With tickets for her Vegas gig - which will not even kick off until March 2003 -- ready to go on sale Thursday, Celine Dion met the press in the gaming capital on Wednesday, reports the Associated Press. The pop diva, 34, has a lucrative three-year, 600-show deal with Caesars Palace hotel and casino, which is building a special 4,000-seat theater for her at a cost of $95 million. Financial terms of her contract, which was negotiated by her husband-manager Rene Angelil, 60, have never been disclosed, but Reuters notes that Las Vegas newspapers have reported that the star will collect $100 million over the 36-month gig. "When I do something, I do it all the way. I've been in show business so many years. I've achieved a lot of things," Dion said at the press conference held at Caesars, according to news reports. "Once you know that something else is possible ... I want to go there. Now is the time for me to discover something new." Dion stressed that her show, to be directed by Cirque du Soleil veteran Franco Dragone, will feature 70 dancers, acrobats, musicians, a flying piano and, of course, "My Heart Will Go On" (from the movie "Titanic") and will be fun -- and moving. "I really think we will make people cry and laugh," she said. "And, of course, we will make a party." Reuters reports that Dion has purchased a home in Vegas. She's been on a two-year performing hiatus since the birth last year of her first child, son Rene-Charles Angelil.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: The Time of My Life!
- 45 Pages of Oscar!
- The Pistorius Trial: Why Did He Kill Her?
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine