Pokémon Toy Warning

11/05/1998 at 12:00 AM EST

Zachary Jones, a 4-month-old Indiana boy, choked to death on a Burger King Pokémon ball on Tuesday, prompting the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue its second nationwide alert in a month over the promotional toy. The container for one of the Poké Balls, a tennis ball-sized hollow red-and-white plastic toy that opens clamshell-style, became lodged over Zachary's mouth and nose. Late last year, millions of such balls were given away with Burger King children's meals. Their wrappings contained no warnings, and, in fact, described the toy as "safety tested and recommended for all ages." On Dec. 27, the fast-food chain issued a recall for millions of Poké Balls in the wake of the Dec. 11 suffocation death of a Sonora, Calif., girl who was found in her playpen with half a ball covering her nose and mouth.

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
  • Chelsea Clinton is Pregnant!
  • Exclusive Royal Tour Diary

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine


From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters