Alarming Celebrity Fires

11/04/1998 at 12:00 AM EST

"Cat's Cradle" and "Slaughterhouse-Five" author Kurt Vonnegut, 77, was hospitalized after suffering smoke inhalation in a fire (possibly started by an untended lit cigarette) at his Manhattan home Sunday night at around 7 p.m. A neighbor of his told The PEOPLE Daily that Vonnegut, his face sooty from smoke, was taken away by paramedics to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fire also sent Princess Stephanie of Monaco and her three young children scurrying from their Alpine ski-station apartment in the early hours of Sunday. The blaze may have been caused by a short-circuit in an electric radiator, police told Reuters. The Princess (the third child of Prince Rainier and the late Princess Grace) and her three children escaped injury and spent the rest of the night at a nearby hotel in Alpes-Maritimes.

Your Reaction

Follow Us

On Newsstands Now

Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
  • Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
  • Prince George! More Yummy Photos

Pick up your copy on newsstands

Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine


From Our Partners

Watch It

Editors' Picks

From Our Partners

Sign up for our daily newsletter and other special offers.
    Choose your newsletters
Thank you for signing up! Your request may take up to one week to be processed.
    see all newsletters