Emmys, Latin Grammys Canceled

updated 09/12/2001 at 12:00 AM EDT

originally published 09/11/2001 12:42PM

Tuesday night's scheduled second annual Latin Grammy Awards were canceled because of Tuesday's apparent terrorist airplane attacks in New York City, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania. The cancellation came as buildings around the Los Angeles area were being closed or evacuated as a precaution. Ironically, the Latin Grammys, originally scheduled to be broadcast from Miami, were moved to L.A. last month as a security precaution. Scheduled performers at the event included guitarist Carlos Santana and an all-star lineup of presenters including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Latin jazz musician Arturo Sandoval. Stars like Marc Anthony and heartthrob Ricky Martin, who helped spark the huge crossover explosion for Latin music, were also featured among the nominees and presenters at last year's awards, which were seen by 7.5 million U.S. viewers. It is not immediately clear if the show would be resurrected at a later date. Meanwhile, the Emmy Awards, TV's highest honors scheduled for Sunday, have been postponed indefinitely due to Tuesday's apparent terrorist attacks, organizers said. The 53rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards show, which was to have been broadcast on CBS from the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, has been delayed "out of respect for the victims, their families and all fellow citizens," said Jim Chabin, president of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Also postponed by the academy was nearly a week of celebrity receptions and other events leading up to the awards show, TV's equivalent of the Oscars.

Share this story:

Your reaction:

advertisement

From Our Partners

From Our Partners