Kidman Sued for Stalker Remarks
Matthew E. Hooker, 30 -- who last year was ordered to stay at least 250 yards away from Nicole Kidman, her children and their homes, working places and schools for three years -- has filed a $200 million libel lawsuit against the star, claiming that she made false allegations against him in order to stir up publicity for her movies "Moulin Rouge" and "The Others," reports the Associated Press. Kidman, 34, had no comment on the lawsuit, her publicist, Catherine Olim, told the news service. In May 2001, Kidman, telling the court that Hooker was "stalking me and my family and I am fearful for our safety and security," requested a temporary restraining order against him, alleging he went to her California home and sent her letters stating he wanted to tutor her son and daughter. Hooker, who is representing himself in the latest legal action, which he instigated late last week in Los Angeles Superior Court, has also named more than 80 journalists and media companies in his claim, the AP reports. He says he was defamed when news reports inaccurately referred to him as a stalker. AP also notes that Hooker states on his Web site that he is running for president of the United States in 2004, but he did not respond to the news service's phone call to his campaign office. In other news, Ursula Reichert-Habbishaw, 51, of Kessel, Germany, who has allegedly been stalking Richard Gere in New York and elsewhere, is fit to stand trial on charges of harassing the actor, Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Gregory Carro ruled on Thursday, said Reuters. She was also told to stay away from the "Unfaithful" star and to come back to court on May 16. She could face a year behind bars if convicted of three counts of aggravated harassment, stalking and harassment.
On Newsstands Now
- Angelina: Inside Her Brave Choice
- New Details on the Ohio Three
- Prince Harry Takes America!
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine