Who Survivors Decide Show Must Go On
Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, the two surviving members of The Who, decided on Friday to resume their scheduled three-month U.S. tour, they said in a statement on Townshend's Web site. The announcement comes after the death Thursday of bassist John Entwistle of an apparent heart attack in his Las Vegas hotel room a night before the tour was to have kicked off. Entwistle, 57, had been with The Who for nearly four decades. "The band decided to recommence the tour beginning at the Hollywood Bowl," said the message on the guitarist's Web site. The Bowl show will take place Monday night, as originally planned. In a separate statement, reports Reuters, the band said the concert will serve as "a tribute to John Entwistle." British session player Pino Palladino, who previously has collaborated with Townshend on some solo projects, will fill in for the bass player, said the Web site, which also went on to say that The Who will finish the entire tour and will reschedule its two weekend dates that were postponed (a Vegas concert and one in Irvine, Calif.). The Who have regrouped once before, after the 1978 death of drummer Keith Moon, notes Reuters. At the time, Kenney Jones was the replacement, though the three surviving members later said they regretted their decision to continue, seeing with hindsight that the band had died along with Moon. The current tour is considered a reunion.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: The Time of My Life!
- 45 Pages of Oscar!
- The Pistorius Trial: Why Did He Kill Her?
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine