Kelly's Contest Leads 'Idol' to Victory
All eyes were on Kelly Clarkson last week. Well, at least 40 million pairs of them, as the finale to "American Idol" handily won the Nielsen weekly ratings race.
The spectacular two-episode extravaganza of the Fox summer hit won every key ratings category, including total viewers and adults 18-49. In fact, the network led the field in total viewers for the first time in history without the Super Bowl or World Series helping out.
For the week ending Sept. 8, Fox averaged 10.5 million viewers, followed by CBS (9 million), NBC (7.6 million) and ABC (6.6 million), according to Nielsen.
As for what in particular grabbed viewers' attention, the Top 10 shows for last week were as follows:
1. "American Idol" Wednesday, Fox, 22.8 million viewers
2. "American Idol," Tuesday, Fox, 18.7 million
3. "CSI," 10 p.m., CBS, 14.9 million
4. "Everybody Loves Raymond," CBS, 14.3 million
5. "CSI," CBS, 14.2 million
6. "CSI Special," CBS, 13.4 million
7. "NFL Sunday Bonus," Fox, 13 million
8. "Becker Special," CBS, 12.7 million
9. "Law and Order," NBC, 12.2 million
10. Law and Order: SVU," NBC, 11.2 million
On Newsstands Now
- The Little Couple: A New Mom's Fight to Live
- Remembering Nelson Mandela
- Princess Kate's Style Secret!
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine