Robert Blake Must Remain Behind Bars
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lloyd Nash has ordered Robert Blake to remain behind bars as the actor prepares to defend himself against charges that he murdered his wife.
"There is proof of his guilt and the presumption is great, for bail purposes only," the jurist said Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. "That does not mean I believe he committed this offense, or that I think he's guilty."
Reuters also quotes Judge Nash as telling Blake's lawyer, Harland Braun, "I am not necessarily opposed to bail for Mr. Blake, (but) I want to hear evidence at the preliminary hearing."
The preliminary hearing is not scheduled until sometime in December. Blake, 69, has been in jail since his April 18 arrest.
Blake stands charged with the May 4, 2001, slaying of his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley, 44, who was shot while sitting in the family car after she and her husband had dinner in a restaurant near their San Fernando Valley home.
On Monday, Blake won the right to a bail hearing that could have set him free until trial. The decision came after last week's ruling by the California Supreme Court ordering sheriff's authorities to explain why he had not yet had one.
In a lengthy jailhouse interview with The Washington Post that appears in Wednesday's edition, Blake maintains his innocence, claiming he barely knew Bakley and -- veering between what the paper terms hope and despair -- says that he has no idea how his case will turn out.
"My heart is clean," he states. "I feel okay ... I can't believe what I'm caught up in. I just gotta hang on to the oars and keep rowing."
On Newsstands Now
- The Little Couple: A New Mom's Fight to Live
- Remembering Nelson Mandela
- Princess Kate's Style Secret!
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine