Diana's Butler Set to Cash in on Story
Paul Burrell, Princess Diana's former butler who was dramatically cleared of stealing 300 of her belongings last Friday after Queen Elizabeth stepped into the case, has sold his story to a British tabloid newspaper.
Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan announced on Britain's Sky TV Monday that his tabloid had shelled out between 250,000 pounds ($390,000) and 500,000 pounds for Burrell, 44, to tell all about the "sensational" story of his arrest and trial.
"I don't think he's ever going to betray Diana, and I don't think he's ever going to betray the queen," Morgan said. "But I think there are other people who are going to be trembling in their boots tonight."
Earlier on Monday, Reuters reports, British Prime Minister Tony Blair rushed to the defense of Queen Elizabeth, 76, who was coming under fire for intervening in the trial and causing it to end so suddenly.
Burrell could have faced seven years behind bars for the alleged theft -- until the queen reportedly recalled a conversation with Burrell in which he told her he was going to keep the items for safekeeping.
The timing of the queen's intervention, which occurred just before the butler himself was due to testify, has raised questions in the press about just what secrets Burrell might have revealed.
According to Reuters, Burrell spent Monday in virtual hiding while his agent sifted through competing offers to sell the tale.
On Newsstands Now
- The Little Couple: A New Mom's Fight to Live
- Remembering Nelson Mandela
- Princess Kate's Style Secret!
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine