Coke Killed Entwistle: British Coroner
A Nevada coroner had already blamed the death on a combination of drugs and a bad heart.
Entwistle, known as the Ox, was found in his room at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas on June 27, a day before the band was to start a three-month U.S. tour.
The report from Tewkesbury Magistrates Court states that an unidentified female companion -- with whom Entwistle had spent the night -- said that the two of them had gone to bed around 3 a.m. and the she had heard him snoring during the night. But when she awoke in the morning he was "unresponsive and cold to the touch."
Paramedics were called but were unable to resuscitate him.
Dr. Jeremy Uff of Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, who consulted on the report, said there was evidence of high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which had been compounded by Entwistle's smoking.
In a statement, Dr. Tim Healey said the musician smoked about 20 cigarettes a day and drank "six to seven units of alcohol," but had regular health checks. No traces of alcohol were found in Entwistle's system, according to the coroner.
The musician's son Christopher said in a statement to the investigators that his father had been looking forward to playing the live shows and had shown no signs of being ill before departing for America.
The surviving members of The Who, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, continued with their scheduled tour, dedicating the first night to their friend and fellow band member.
Original Who drummer Keith Moon died of an accidental drug overdose 25 years ago.
On Newsstands Now
- Brad's Devotion: The Inside Story
- Oklahoma Tornado: Heroic Rescues
- Michael Douglas on Catherine's Health
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine