TV Ratings: FOX Misses 'Millionaire'
FOX's new entry in the reality arena, the critically besmirched "Married By America," was left stranded at the altar Monday, quickly proving it is no "Joe Millionaire," according to preliminary Nielsen ratings.
This new predecessor of "Joe," in which viewers pick mates for five singles, premiered in third place with just 8.6 million viewers this week, compared with the 20 million who typically tuned in for "Joe."
In other ratings results, HBO's third-season premiere of the critically beloved "Six Feet Under" on Sunday night averaged 5.1 million viewers, down from the 6.2 million who watched last year's season opener.
Meanwhile, the second-season kickoff of E!'s "Anna Nicole Show" proved uncharacteristically flat, with 1.8 million viewers.
As for last week, the surprise was the instant hit status of Nia Vardalos's "My Big Fat Greek Life," adapted from smash movie. Many critics found it too familiar and too unfunny, yet viewers clearly didn't seem to mind.
The Top 10 primetime shows for last week, according to Nielsen Media Research, were as follows:
1. "CSI," CBS, 22.88 million viewers
2. "My Big Fat Greek Life," CBS, 22.87 million
3. "Survivor: Amazon," CBS, 22.4 million
4. "Everybody Loves Raymond," CBS, 22.2 million
5. "American Idol," Tuesday, FOX, 19.9 million
6. "Law & Order," NBC, 19.6 million
7. "Joe Millionaire: Aftermath," FOX, 19.5 million
8. "CSI: Miami," CBS, 19.1 million
9. "Without a Trace," CBS, 18.8 million
10. "Friends," NBC, 17.5 million
On Newsstands Now
- Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
- Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
- Prince George! More Yummy Photos
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine