Nolte Faces Judge on Probation Question
Nick Nolte, who last September pleaded no contest to driving under the influence of an illegal drug, was ordered to return to Los Angeles County Superior Court in Malibu on Friday to address allegations that he possibly violated terms of his probation, reports Reuters.
On Thursday, Nolte's lawyer, Mark Werksman, appeared before Judge Lawrence Mira to present a progress report on the "Prince of Tides" star, 62, who was not in court.
But the jurist reportedly postponed the proceedings until the following day and ordered Nolte to show up for a hearing to determine whether a formal probation violation hearing was warranted, Werksman said.
Mira did not reveal why he wants Nolte to appear in open court, nor would prosecutors or the defense attorney comment on the nature of the allegations.
Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Lorraine Peterson said only that prosecutors were investigating "a potential probation violation that had just been brought to our attention."
The syndicated TV show "Celebrity Justice" reported that court officials received an anonymous call Wednesday claiming that Nolte had bought liquor at a store in the San Francisco Bay Area, appeared to be drunk and was seen driving off in a car with a passenger inside.
Werksman, who said Nolte had been in the Bay Area this week for medical treatment related to an athletic injury, categorically denied any probation violation.
"We're confident that the court will find that Mr. Nolte has absolutely, 100 percent complied with all the terms and conditions of probation, and that he's sober and doing great since this incident last September," Werksman told Reuters.
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine