Big Green 'Hulk,' Big Green Box Office
Despite some downbeat reviews, "The Hulk" delivered a powerful punch to the weekend box office and snagged the No. 1 spot away from "Finding Nemo," according to studio estimates.
The big green guy had the biggest June opening for a film, ever.
Still, the Wall Street Journal, in analyzing the $62.6 million first-weekend take of "The Hulk," reports that the figure is strong but not spectacular for a comic book movie that cost $150 million.
The paper also says that there was speculation in Hollywood that the movie would struggle to make $50 million its first weekend.
But instead, the new movies that tanked this weekend were Rob Reiner's romantic comedy "Alex & Emma," starring Kate Hudson and Luke Wilson, and the real disaster, "From Justin to Kelly," starring "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson and runner-up Justin Guarini.
Their movie, which critic Jack Matthews of New York's Daily News called "Dreadful ... Maybe the worst I've ever seen," opened at No. 11, making only $2.9 million nationwide.
The Top 10 movies for the weekend, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. "The Hulk," $62.6 million
2. "Finding Nemo," $20.5 million
3. "2 Fast 2 Furious," $10.3 million
4. "Bruce Almighty," $10 million
5. "The Italian Job," $7.2 million
6. "Rugrats Go Wild," $6.7 million
7. "Alex & Emma," $6.2 million
8. "Hollywood Homicide," $5.8 million
9. "Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd," $4.3 million
10. "The Matrix Reloaded," $4.05 million
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine