'Wedding' Has Honeymoon at Box Office
"American Wedding" had a honeymoon of a weekend, debuting as the No. 1 movie at the box office in a horserace in which its other new-movie competition was Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's loser "Gigli."
Starring Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan and Seann William Scott, the third film in the raunchy "American Pie" sex comedies did well ($34.3 million) despite mixed reviews and the absence of such "American" alums as Shannon Elizabeth, Mena Suvari, Chris Klein and Tara Reid.
Ticket sales for the year's highest-grossing movie, Disney/Pixar's 10-week-old "Finding Nemo," fell by only 13 percent from last week, allowing it to tie with "Gigli," about which enough has been said already.
Meanwhile, the horseracing drama "Seabiscuit" expanded its run by 434 theaters, to come in fourth place. The Associated Press reports that its business fell by 16 percent in its second weekend. (Most movies drop about 40 percent.)
The weekend's Top 10 movies, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. "American Wedding," $34.3 million
2. "Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over," $20.1 million
3. "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," $19.1 million
4. "Seabiscuit," $17.5 million
5. "Bad Boys II," $12.7 million
6. "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider -- The Cradle of Life," $11.3 million
7. (tie) "Finding Nemo," $3.8 million
7. (tie) "Gigli," $3.8 million
9. "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," $3.2 million
10. "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," $2.9 million
On Newsstands Now
- Robin Roberts: How Loved Saved Me
- Emma and Andrew: All About Hollywood's Cutest Couple
- Prince George! More Yummy Photos
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine