Charges in Jackson Case Due This Week
After a nearly monthlong silence by Santa Barbara County District Attorney Thomas Sneddon, Michael Jackson is finally expected to learn this week what charges of child molestation he will face, reports the Associated Press.
Legal experts also tell the news service that authorities will require strong physical evidence if they are to overcome questions about the credibility of the young accuser in the case.
Jackson, 45, was booked Nov. 20 but was not immediately charged, as is usually the norm in such situations. Sneddon said at the time that officials needed until this week to establish a Web site that will distribute the formal complaint to news organizations tracking the case.
Jim Thomas, a former Santa Barbara County sheriff who has discussed the case with Sneddon, expects the charges to allege that Jackson molested one child repeatedly, probably over a period of more than a month.
"You will see allegations of multiple counts of child molestation on this particular child," Thomas tells AP.
Last week, a confidential memo from February was released by the Smoking Gun Web site revealing that Los Angeles County child welfare officials had determined there was no basis for claims that Jackson had molested the boy who has allegedly brought about these new charges.
In the February memo, Jackson's accuser, his brother and his mother all denied the boy had been molested.
Sneddon said in a statement that he was aware of the memo when he sought the arrest warrant and did not expect it to affect the case.
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: The Time of My Life!
- 45 Pages of Oscar!
- The Pistorius Trial: Why Did He Kill Her?
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine