'Disappointed' Ozzy Cancels Concert Tour
In what hardly comes as a surprise, a recuperating Ozzy Osbourne announced Friday that he's canceled his upcoming 20-date tour of Britain so that he can fully recover from his Dec. 8 all-terrain-bike accident.
"I am deeply disappointed, but it's out of my control," the former Black Sabbath frontman and MTV star, 55, said in a written statement, according to the Associated Press.
"Right now I need to concentrate on my recovery and unfortunately this is something I cannot rush," the statement added.
Osbourne spent a week on a hospital respirator after he fractured his collarbone, eight ribs and a neck vertebra when the 600-pound vehicle he was riding flipped and landed on top of him at his estate in southern England.
He is now mending back at the estate, and he says he looks forward to performing again "when the doctors tell me I am fit and ready."
The concert tour was slated to kick off at London's Wembley Arena on Feb. 15. A series of European tour dates were already canceled.
Earlier this week in a newspaper interview, Osbourne said he "died" twice after the accident and that his bodyguard, Sam Ruston, who rushed to his aid, saved his life.
"If it wasn't for Sam I probably wouldn't be here," Osbourne told Britain's Sunday Mirror newspaper. "He had to bring me back to life twice."
Osbourne also vowed, "I'll never go near one of those damn bikes again. I am lucky to be here today and not paralyzed. ... The doctors tell me every day it could have been a lot worse. I could be dead."
Sharon Osbourne, 50, told the Mirror she would have taken her own life had her husband died. "If Ozzy had gone, I would have gone with him," she said.
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine