Sprained Neck Closes Dion's Vegas Act
Celine Dion has been forced to cancel her Las Vegas show, A New Day, for the better part of this week because of a sprained neck, Caesars Palace has announced.
"Celine has been instructed by her doctor to rest for five consecutive days," show spokeswoman Kris Lingle said a statement, adding that the six-time Grammy winner, 36, had been performing with a sore neck, which only aggravated her condition.
"The doctor has advised that in order for her full recovery, she will be required to remain inactive until the weekend," Lingle added.
There will be no performances from Wednesday through Friday, but Dion is expected to return to the stage Saturday night. Refunds will be offered on the tickets (which range from $87.50 to $200 each) for the canceled performances.
Dion is in the second year of her three-year engagement at Caesars, which built a special theater for her and reportedly is paying her $100 million, plus 50 percent of the profits.
It already has been a bad month for songbirds.
Last week, Christina Aguilera 23, was forced to cancel her 28-city North American tour (with special guest Chingy) after straining her vocal cords while recording, said her publicist.
The tour was to have kicked off Thursday in Seattle, but Aguilera's doctors reportedly advised her to rest and give her voice time to recover fully.
Even so, the New York Post suggests that Aguilera may eventually move forward with a pared-down tour. Though the paper claimed she was in a Burbank rehearsal studio last weekend, working with two backup singers and two dancers, her reps insist she hasn't sung at all since her doctor's orders last month.
"The only thing she has done is a Mercedes-Benz photo shoot," the rep said.
On Newsstands Now
- The Little Couple: A New Mom's Fight to Live
- Remembering Nelson Mandela
- Princess Kate's Style Secret!
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine