Authorities have cleared Michael Jackson of charges that he molested an unidentified Los Angeles man in the 1980s, after a two-month investigation found no evidence of a crime, police said on Wednesday.
Detectives discounted the "repressed memory" claims of the now 18-year-old accuser, who claimed that the musician inappropriately touched him when he was between the ages of 3 and 5, then again when he was between 11 and 14. The alleged molestation reportedly took place at Jackson's Encino home.
The accuser had been counseled by prominent Beverly Hills psychiatrist Carole Lieberman, who last year filed a child abuse complaint against Jackson with Santa Barbara County Protective Services, reports Reuters.
"After an extensive investigation, which included hours of interviews with the person making the allegations, detectives concluded there was no evidence that any crime occurred," Los Angeles Police Lt. Art Miller said in a brief written statement. "No charges will be sought."
This appears to close the book on the Los Angeles investigation. But Jackson, 45, still faces separate charges of child molestation, abduction, extortion and false imprisonment, and is set to stand trial starting Sept. 13 in Santa Barbara County.
Jackson, who is free on $3 million bail, has pleaded innocent to the indictment and his lead defense attorney, Thomas Mesereau, has vowed to have him vindicated at trial.